Policies & FAQ
All orders for finished pieces ship within 1-2 business days of purchase. For made to order pieces, please add an extra 3-5 business days to this in order for me to make the piece :)
All Gem & Tonik orders include discounted postage rates, detailed tracking, insurance and email updates at no extra charge!
The time estimates below are a guide only, based on information given by Australia Post, as well as my experience with shipping Internationally over the last few years.
*Please know I cannot be held responsible if your parcel gets delayed in customs, or if your country has additional customs fees for International packages.
- Standard (2-5 business days): AU$6.50
- Express (1 business day): AU$10.50
- Standard (5-8 business days): AU$13
- Express (2-4 business days): AU$33
- Standard (6-10 business days): AU$20
- Express (2-4 business days): AU$40
- Standard (6-10 business days): AU$16
- Express (2-4 business days): AU$36
- Standard (5-9 business days): AU$12
- Express (2-4 Business days): AU$32
When I do open up slots for custom orders, I do have a few conditions that I like stay true to:
- I require a 50% minimum deposit before I start work on a piece, and that deposit is non-refundable in the event of change of mind or if the remaining balance on the piece is not paid.
- I don't feel comfortable copying the work of another Metalsmith, so won't copy an existing piece from other jewellery companies. I like to keep my designs as original and unique to Gem & Tonik as possible, and like to respect the hard work of other artists.
- As I want to ensure all stones I work with are sustainably sourced, I only work with stones that are in my own collection. This is also for insurance purposes, as working with stones by hand means that they can occasionally be damaged in the creating process.
- As each custom listing is made to order especially for that customer, I cannot offer returns on change of mind or if the wrong ring size is mistakenly requested.
Afterpay - How it Works
Returns & Warranty
Finished Pieces: I will gladly accept returns on any piece that is not listed as Custom or Made To Order. To do this, simply message me via my 'Contact' page within 3 days of delivery, and send the item(s) back via tracked mail within 7 days of delivery. To receive a refund, piece(s) must be returned in their original condition within the timeframe specified above. Refunds will be processed the day that the piece(s) arrive back at my studio, as long as these conditions are met.
Custom & Made to Order Pieces: Custom and Made to Order items are final sale, and therefore not returnable. Please double check your ring size when ordering, as each Made to Order piece is created specifically for the customer that orders it.
Warranty: All pieces purchased from my website come with a 100 day warranty from date of purchase. This covers any accidental manufacturing faults or defects, but will not cover breakage or damage due to misuse, or exposure of stones to chemicals. For information on how to care for your gemstone jewellery and keep it in optimum condition, check out my jewellery care tips further down this page.
Sterling Silver Versus Fine Silver
Sterling Silver: Contains at least 92.5% silver, with the other 7.5% consisting of copper and zinc. I use this for all the ring bands, back plates, little accents, pendant bails, earring hooks, bangles and other embellishments. This ensures that every piece can withstand every day wear, maintaining it's shape, quality and beautiful silver colour.
Fine Silver: Contains at least 99% silver, with the other 1% consisting of copper and zinc. I use this in all the bezels in my work, which are the pieces of silver that envelope each gemstone, holding it into the piece. I choose to work with Fine Silver for these bezels, as it is a little bit softer than sterling silver. This means that it provides less pressure on the stones that it sits around, making them less likely to crack with wear and knocks over time. Fine Silver can also go for longer periods without cleaning and not tarnish, so even if you don't polish or wear your Gem & Tonik piece often, the Fine Silver will stay bright and shiny, helping to showcase the stones in every piece, allowing their colours and features to stand out and be the focus in every design.
As I only work with hand tools, I unfortunately can't resize finished rings with stones in them without risking them cracking from the heat of my torches.
Rings can usually be resized by any jeweller that has the correct equipment (a laser welder or other resizing machinery), but that would be something I would double check with a local jewellery store near you first. If you love a Gem & Tonik piece but it's not in your size, I'd recommend showing your local jewellery store the photos and listing details of that particular ring, to find out whether they have the machinery to resize the piece for you. If you'd like a piece sized up, some jewellery stores also have the equipment to offer a ring stretching service. This can often be a more affordable option for resizing, and when done correctly will not change the appearance of the ring or ring band.
COVID19 currently has no negative impact on the way that I run Gem & Tonik. I work from home in a regularly cleaned and sanitised studio, and I ensure all my work is cleaned thoroughly before posting out orders. Please note that there may be delays with both Domestic and International shipping, so it's best to allow extra time on top of my advertised delivery times just in case. All orders come with detailed tracking, insurance and email updates, so even if your order is delayed, you can still easily keep tabs on it to see when it will arrive.😊
Crystal Healing Disclaimer
Made by Hand
If you are looking for something that looks like it came from a catalogue or big box retail store, then I would recommend purchasing from a company that uses pre-fabs or machine-made pieces. However, if you would like something that has been made from the heart, with care, traditional techniques, and with a love for the Earth in mind, then I'd love for you to purchase from me!